Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Spirit of God, Our Comforter

Never a fan of Christian music, I nonetheless have several hymns on my MP3 player, scattered amidst the Led Zeppelin and Indigo Girls tracks. I suppose the hymns are fond reminders of my childhood, but they also stir disquieting memories of my least favorite seminary class.

Church Music was a requirement for all M.Div. students at Golden Gate, and the main purpose of the class was to teach prospective pastors how to lead the singing of a hymn. I, for one, could not imagine a more useless skill. Most Baptist churches sang the same two dozen hymns over and over again, so how much hand-waving was really required? Plus, wasn't that what the music minister was for?

Even so, we all dutifully learned about rhyme schemes, measures, and downbeats, and when the professor judged us sufficiently prepared, she passed out a list of hymn assignments for an in-class practice session. Scanning the paper, I could see right away that this woman had taken a fierce disliking to me. All the other students were assigned familiar numbers like Victory in Jesus that any self-respecting Baptist could sleepwalk through. Meanwhile, I was asked to lead Spirit of God, Our Comforter, the only hymn on the list I had never heard of.

I prepared as best I could, and when my turn to lead rolled around, I walked to the front of the classroom with sweaty palms. My fears were heightened by whispered comments that began floating up from my classmates as they flipped to the obscure hymn.

"Huh, I didn’t even know this one was in there."

"It looks kind of Presbyterian."

Once I began singing and waving my arms, the other students waited for those who knew the hymn to join in, unaware that such persons did not exist. Eventually, everyone took pity on me and tried to sing along as best they could, but my humiliation was already complete.

So while I love a good hymn to this day, you will never find Spirit of God, Our Comforter on my MP3.

3 comments:

Mike L. said...

Steve,

That is a great story!

I have to say I remember my first trip to San Francisco and how freeing it was to be in such a progressive place. It felt like an exodus from my home in the bible-bet. My wife and I fell in love with the area and we now make cross country trips to the bay area every year or 2. It is our favorite place to visit. The most bizarre thing happened on our first trip there. We drove past a sign for the Golden Gate Baptist Seminary and I remember thinking "how the heck did that get there?"

I'm enjoying your musings and really relate to your experience. Please keep posting!

Steve said...

Thanks for the kind words, Mike!

spud tooley said...

too funny.

we didn't have a class like that at the seminary i went to (phoenix seminary). but as i read your piece my mind flashed back to when i was a kid, standing and singing a hymn in church, the music minister making the sign of the cross a hundred times NW of where he was standing (from my perspective)...

and when it ended, SOMEBODY was supposed to tell the congregation to sit down, but no one did, and so we didn't know whether to sit down or remain standing, so some would sit down, and others would keep standing, and then those that had sat down would stand back up, so if you were looking down from above the congregation it was almost like a game of Christian whack-a-mole...

you may be seated.

mike rucker
fairburn, georgia, usa
mikerucker.wordpress.com