Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Fall of the Evangelical Nation


Once again, I want to momentarily step away from the frivolity of my seminary years and fast-forward a bit. During the 8 years that I served as a pastor in Marin and Sonoma counties, I worked alongside a total of 7 other church staff members. Of the 8 of us, only 1 is still working for a church, and at least 4 of the 8 are not even attending an evangelical congregation.

At times, I have wondered if my choices and those of my colleagues represent an aberration (this is California, after all). But after reading The Fall of the Evangelical Nation by Christine Wicker, I know better. This book is thick with statistics and sociological analysis, yet I found it to be an absolute page-turner—perhaps because the hard numbers are interspersed with compelling stories of individuals who are rethinking their faith in ways that sound awfully familiar.

In a nutshell, Wicker lays out a well-researched tale of “halves.” She notes that fully 80% of Americans identify themselves as Christians, but only half (40%) say they went to church in the last week, and only half of those (20%) were actually there. Moreover, less than half of the true church attenders (7%) hew closely to traditional evangelical beliefs like viewing Jesus as the only way to heaven and accepting the Bible as the inerrant word of God. On top of all that, approximately 1,000 evangelicals leave established churches each day, and many of them are deeply committed believers who have become disillusioned with the state of conservative Christianity. Some seek out new forms of faith like the “emerging church;” others don’t bother.

As I read this book and the personal narratives it relates, my mind flashed back to a summer mission trip I took in college. Students from various Campus Crusade for Christ ministries across the nation spent the summer sharing our faith at a beach town on the east coast, and one night we received a sober warning from one of the CCC staff members. He told us that, if past patterns held, 75% of us would not be “walking with the Lord” in 10 years time. This was a shocking number, and I got the message loud and clear: if we “fell away,” it would be because we neglected our faith—not because something was wrong with the beliefs we all held.

Wicker’s book provides ample statistics to back up the attrition rate I was quoted, but it does something more. It explains that many people do not leave evangelicalism because of moral failings or a lack of commitment, but because they have grown weary of believing that their particular version of Christianity has cornered the market on truth, and that its corresponding right-wing politics has cornered the market on values.

Perhaps my old Campus Crusade leaders would number me among the dreaded 75%, but The Fall of the Evangelical Nation tells me I’m in good company. For that and other reasons, I recommend it highly.

3 comments:

spud tooley said...

i'm currently reading wicker's book, 'god knows my heart' - an account of her faith journey that's similar to yours and mine. she had an editorial in the local atlanta paper a few weeks bag where she excerpted some of her thoughts from 'the fall etc.' - which i enjoyed reading immensely. :)

yeah, not the best christian spirit, but it's fun occasionally to see some people get their due.

or at least what i think is their due.

after all, it's all about me anyway, right?...

but that's not why i came to your blog this evening. this is.

what's up with that?

mike rucker
fairburn, georgia, usa
mikerucker.wordpress.com

spud tooley said...

one other comment on this post: you know as well as i do that the contents of this book will actually be worn as badges and medals by those which it critiques. anything that talks about a great 'falling away' will be used to reinforce the 'fact' that we're living in the end times; many sermons now will be preached on the narrow gate / wide road to destruction text; and any criticism of the church will fuel the Jesus-said-the-world-would-hate-us self-righteousness sitting in the pews.

the evangelical church can justify itself as being in the center of God's will when it greatly influences the outcome of elections, and it can justify iiself when no candidate wants to court its votes. pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

it's like gas prices: when oil goes up, gas prices go up. when oil goes down, well...

...gas prices still go up.

mike rucker
fairburn, georgia, usa
mikerucker.wordpress.com

Steve said...

Hi Mike (spud),
Good to hear from you, and sorry it has taken me a while to post your comments and respond. We've been camping for a few days, so I've been away from the internet and other modern conveniences.

I read Wicker's God Knows My Heart book a few years ago and, as you noted, very much resonated with her story. And you're right that many folks will see her latest work as proof that "nominal Christians" are being winnowed out of the "true church." But she makes a strong case that it is some of the most committed people who are leaving--not the casual attenders. This matches my experience, in that it is often the people who take their faith the most seriously who become disaffected with the evangelical status quo.

And thanks for sending the link to the Bolinas story. Western Marin has always been a bit different than the rest of the county, but not in a negative or violent way. I would expect such an attack in an urban setting, but not Marin.