Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Elisha and the Bears - Part 1

After sitting through countless sermons and Sunday School lessons as a kid, I thought I knew Scripture pretty well. But just to be sure, I decided to read the Bible from cover to cover the summer before entering seminary. And I quickly encountered several stories that had not made it onto the flannel-graph boards at First Baptist Church.

Take the story of Elisha in 2 Kings 2, for instance. As this great prophet traveled from Jericho to Bethel, a group of young lads began to taunt him, calling out, "You baldhead!" In response, Elisha cursed the boys, whereupon two bears came out of the woods and mauled 42 of them. As I read this tale for the first time, several problems became immediately apparent:

  1. It seemed like Elisha—being a prophet and all—could have been a shade more thick-skinned about these little jests. Why so touchy?
  2. How did 2 bears maul 42 boys? After the first 6 or 8 went down, you’d think the rest of them would run like hell. Were they trapped in a box canyon or something?
  3. What spiritual lesson is being imparted here, exactly? "Thou shalt not ridicule middle-aged prophets with male-pattern baldness?"

And that was a fairly mild example of the bloodshed—much of it apparently ordered by God. What was going on here? Fortunately, I had signed up for an Old Testament class at Golden Gate, where such questions were sure to be resolved. And on the first day of class, my hopes soared when I found the OT professor to be smart, engaging, and dedicated to the integrity of Scripture. But as the semester wore on, we focused more on the formation of the Old Testament than the meaning of individual texts. And learning about the JEPD theory of the Pentateuch’s authorship didn’t help much with Elisha and the bears.

After a while, I feared we were ignoring the elephant in the room: a literal reading of the Old Testament left us with the jarring notion of God-sanctioned violence. And I was about to discover that others sometimes bumped into the same elephant.

5 comments:

Monk-in-Training said...

I have a sneaking suspicion that God never sanctioned the violence at all, but that it was the flawed humans who did, then painted over their offense with a 'God told me to' sort of phrasing of the record.

I sure see that attitude today, and as we know, there is nothing new under the sun.

Tony said...

Greetings, Steve.

I followed the link from Carlos' blog, Jesus Politics, and saw you hanging out at Streak's, too. Welcome to blogging. I am a Southern Baptist pastor, btw!

This is an interesting post and the idea of a literal Bible has caused me to ask some questions as well, much like your own.

The idea spans both Testaments, but I'll throw out a few references of my own. 1 Samuel 15:3 and God calling the Israelites to wipe out Amalek; Acts 4:32-should we really sell all our possessions?

One of my favorites is James 5:14; on anointing with oil. A SB brother who is an avowed literalist, claims this is just like taking Tylenol.

Some also claim literalism must push us to believe in a young earth, though that is unsubstantiated by any text.

Some of these are humorous, and most you probably already are aware of, but I do think we should take the Bible as literally as we can, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be willing to ask and wrangle with questions.

Great to have you in the blog world. I look forward to some conversation!

Steve said...

Monk - That sure seems to be the simplest explanation (and the one that I have come to embrace). Thanks for weighing in!

Tony - Welcome, and I'm glad you found MCJ. (That's an interesting crew over at Jeus Politics, by the way.) I agree that there are many examples of problematic texts that are difficult to take literally, and I got tired of the convoluted explanations that are required to account for them. As I noted above, Monk's idea seems to be the most reasonable.

That said, I respect your willingness to take Scripture seriously and wrestle with the tough questions without settling for pat answers. May your numbers increase in the SBC!

Anonymous said...

Steve and monk,

Do you mean to say that it was actually people who attacked the youths in the story and not bears, as the Bible says? If so, how did you arrive at that conclusion given the story does not say that?

Steve said...

Gary - I'm not sure how you got that impression, but it is perfectly clear that bears mauled the boys (though somewhat less clear how the bears managed to work their way through such a large crowd).

Leaving that story aside, the larger point is that many Bible stories depict God as ordering the slaughter of entire villages/people groups (Tony cited a couple examples in his comment). Many people find such stories disturbing in this age of genocide, as well as inconsistent with other parts of Scripture.